User Segmentation on the Fyber Ad Monetization Platform
Why Should I Use Segments?
User Segments can be defined in the Dashboard and used for Ad Control adjustments for certain groups of your app’s users. This gives you more granular control over the balance between monetization and user experience, allowing you to execute such strategies as:
“Only show interstitials to non-paying users.”
“cap the number of Rewarded Video ad impressions for new users to 10 per day.”
This can all be achieved using a combination of User Segments and Ad Control features.
How to Set Up and Use Segments
To start using Segments, you’ll should complete the following steps:
(In your app) Make sure you have integrated the Fyber SDK v7.0.2 or later
(In your app) Populate the User object in the Fyber SDK with relevant data
(In the Fyber Dashboard) Create a user segment in the Fyber Dashboard, and define its characteristics (rules)
How to Populate the User Object in the Fyber SDK with User Data
Important: The User Segment SDK Reference contains information on all of the parameters you can populate in your SDK integration, which are used to define user segments.
Setting Values for the Segment Parameters
You should populate and update the User object in your Fyber SDK integration with data corresponding to the supported parameters. You can also define custom parameters, should you wish to segment users based on your own proprietary data.
// Retrieve a User attribute, i.e age: User.getAge() // Set properties of the User User.setAge(age);
Updating Parameter Values
If some user data that you provided in the user object is updated, you should update the value so that Fyber’s User Segmentation can segment users based on the most up-to-date data possible.
See the User Segment SDK Reference for more information on populating segment parameters in the SDK integration.
Custom Segment Parameters
If you want to segment users based on data that isn’t reflected in the list of supported segment parameters, you can add one or more custom parameters and define user segments based on these. Adding custom parameters in the SDK integration requires a Key and a Value
Example: Setting a ‘user level’ custom parameter
// Custom parameter: User creation date User.addCustomValue("user_level", myUser.getLevel() );
See the User Segment SDK Reference for more information on custom segment parameters.
How to Create a User Segment in the Fyber Dashboard
- Log in to the Fyber Ad Monetization Dashboard.
- Navigate to the App you wish to manage in the Apps List.
- Go to the Segments page, by clicking the Segments tab.
- On the Segments page, click the Add Segment button
- In the Add Segment window:
- Give your segment a descriptive name, e.g. non-paying users.
- Add one or more rules, using the provided segment parameters and values, to define the criteria for a user to be included in the segment.
- You can also choose whether a user should match all or any of the segment rules to be included in the segment (the default is all, which we recommend in most cases).
- Click Save to finish creating the segment.
- Each request from your app will now be evaluated against your newly-created user segment. You can now also use this segment in the Ad Control page, to target Demand Priority rules or Ad Delivery rules.
Example: A user segment configured with 2 rules
Using a User Segment in the Ad Control page
Once you have created one or more user segments in the Segments page, you can use these segments in the Ad Control page to control the Ad user experience for these specific users.
Targeting an Ad Delivery rule to one or more user segments
- Create a new Ad Delivery rule or open the Edit window for an existing rule.
- In the Targeting section of the edit window, click in the Segments field, and select the segment for which you wish to target the rule.
- Click Save to save the rule. You should now see an icon next to this Ad Delivery rule to indicate that it is targeted to a segment.
Example: Targeting an ad delivery rule to a segment:
Example: A segment-targeted ad delivery rule:
Targeting a Demand Priority item to one or more user segments
- Create a new Demand Priority item, or open the Edit window for an existing item in the priority list.
- Click the Segments field, and select for segment to which you wish to target the rule.
- Click Save to save the priority item. You should now see an icon next to this priority item to indicate that it is targeted to a segment.
Note: If you target a priority item to one or more segments, the rest of your users will not be served this ad network, unless there is another un-targeted priority item for it.
Example: Targeting a priority item to a segment:
Example: A segment-targeted priority item: